SOCIAL-ism EPISODE 07: MING PETALS & TWIGS
PETAL & TWIGS, ONE OF THE BEST FLORISTS IN TOWN IS RUN BY A LECTURER CUM FLOWER-EXTRAORDINAIRE. FROM A UNIQUE FLOWERY HAVEN LOCATED AT THE STREET OF TAN HIOK NEE, NOW CONTINUING HER PASSION FOR FLOWER ARRANGEMENTS FROM HOME, WE CHAT TO MING, THE LADY BEHIND THE EVER UNIQUE AND PERSONALIZED FLOWER ARRANGEMENT AND HOW SHE IS JUGGLING HER PASSION AND MOTHERHOOD.
1. Can you share with us about you & what you do for a living?
My name is Lee Huey Ming and people do address me as Ming. I’m a florist at Petals and Twigs and a Lecturer at Raffles University Iskandar
2. What makes you started Petals & Twigs? Can you tell us what attracts you to florist?
While I was in New Zealand usually i would take really long walks. There were these nearby local shops at where i used to live. So, every few times a week i will stop by to pick up flowers and groceries before heading back. So buying and arranging flowers was a part of my lifestyle. That’s how Petals and Twigs began because i wanted to share my joy for flowers and floral arrangement.
3. Your creations are absolutely wonderful and creative. Where do you get your inspiration from?
Thank you for your kind words :) Personally my inspiration do come at random sometimes. I do pay attention to the things that usually go unnoticed. For instance, just looking at how light cast shadow in a space or a certain object in the room. Or by observing how the weed grows in between the grass or your favourite pot of plants.
“NORMALITY IS A PAVED ROAD: IT’S COMFORTABLE TO WALK, BUT NO FLOWERS GROW” - VINCENT VAN GOGH
4. For us, Petals & Twigs is not an ordinary flower shop. You put a lot of love and attention to each piece that you created. What drives you to do more for your customers?
YES! I always like to challenge myself to see what new arrangements can be done. i try not to remake what was made before. I love to see the smile on the faces of people receiving the flowers. And that makes me truly happy. People’s smile is my happy pill! LOL
5. Being an entrepreneur and a mother of two can’t be an easy job. How do you remain professional and find balance both in work and at home?
One of the primary reasons why my studio now is home based because i spend less time travelling. Now, i can spend time with the kids, work and cook at the same time. Usually i would wait for them to sleep before starting work or i would wake up really early before the day starts. Also i’m really grateful for my MR who is now working from home. He helps me watch over the kids when I need to do rush orders.
6. Everyone has had a rough 2 years due to the pandemic. Though we are still recovering, how do you adjusting to the new routines of post-pandemic and changes especially as a business owner?
All orders are still to be made through whatsapp/instagram/email/facebook. I usually send through photos of flowers that available and suggest what can be done. I have ideas of doing more online marketing for P&T and maybe starting a virtual flower arrangement workshop but i haven’t really given a full though on it yet.
7. Any advice for those young people out there who are trying to make in it the industry?
“Normality is a paved road: It’s comfortable to walk, but no flowers grow” - Vincent Van Gogh.
Interview: Jem | Translation: Khalisa Johari | Photography: MING@PETALS & TWINGS
COPYRIGHT 2022. CROSSOVER CONCEPT STORE. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.