SOCIAL-ism EPISODE 02: CHOOEE
CHOOEE, FOUNDER & MANAGING DIRECTOR FOR STREETHING. WHEN WE THINK OF CHOOEE, WE DON'T THINK ONLY OF MEDIA, BUT HE AS AN INDIVIDUAL WHO IS A SNEAKERHEAD. A FOOD HUNTER & TALENTED PHOTOGRAPHER. AND OF COURSE, HIS GOOD SENSE IN FASHION AND A TRUE ENVIRONMENTALIST:
1. Can you share with us your lockdown experience in Singapore? What you have been doing from the 1st MCO until now, and are there any changes to your daily routines?
The first lockdown in Singapore was surreal. The street was empty and the whole city just went silent. For the first time I realized we humans feed off the energy from each other. I could still feel the emptiness whenever I think about it. Going into the lockdown, I had a plan - declutter, organize and workout. Aside from my work, I declutter and organize one part of my apartment. And I always start small and I can get the part done and have a sense of accomplishment. Same goes for my workout - I aim for 3-5k daily so I will always accomplish my daily goal. And audiobooks and podcasts were my running companions. The routine kept me motivated and staying positive not knowing when the lockdown is going to end.
“ BE BETTER
WERE YESTERDAY ”
2. Recently you've been posting a lot on vintage Nike. Care to share more on the shoes and your love for the vintage Air Jordan?
I have always been a big Michael Jordan fan. He was probably the main reason why I went to the USA for college (sorry dad). Growing up my favourite sneakers have always been Air Jordans. When Netflix released "THE LAST DANCE", I fell in love all over again like a teenager with MJ and AJs. So I started to dig out from my archive and acquired more vintage AJs. The craziest thing is I am still learning about the history of Air Jordans up to today. It is never ending learning (hopefully not spending)
3. Since we are on the topic of sneakers, what do you foresee will be the trend for the year 2021?
I think the whole aging or vintage look is making a come back in a huge way for sneaker brands. The consumers are starting to want their sneakers to look worn and beat up. It is funny how we want a pair of new "vintage looking" sneakers.
4. You are somewhat a well-travelled food lover. Can you recommend 5 best food spot in KL/JB?
I think I can recommend 5 best food spots in Singapore better than KL/JB now. I would recommend Nasi Byrani@Yakader Muslim Tekka Center, Charlie's Peranakan@Golden Mile Food Center, Lobster Boiled Rice@King of Pao Fan, Mee Rebus@Yunos N Family, Thai food@Un-Yang-Kor-Dai.
TRASH IS ONE OF
5. We have known you as someone who is very much aware & care for the environment, far before it has become a global issue. Any tips for all who wish to be more environmental-friendly on a daily basis?
Do you know trash is one of the biggest environmental problems. We all should start by putting out less trash so we can stop polluting the environment especially with plastic waste. The simple ways to start is to carry a reusable cup so you can skip a plastic cup and straw. Bring a tote when shopping for groceries. Bring your own water bottle over buying bottled drinks and lastly buy quality things so they can last forever.
6. Any advice or wisdom to share with the young people who are looking into joining the fashion and sneaker industry?
Build your knowledge, not your ego
7. Any particular quote that you live by?
Be better than you were yesterday
Interview: Jem | Translation: Khalisa Johari | Photography: CHOOEE | Graphic: Vincent Tan
COPYRIGHT 2021. CROSSOVER CONCEPT STORE. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.